January 1, 2011

Hopes, Dreams, and Plans for the next 365 days

Bring it 2011!

I stopped blogging about the time I got my job at the Toledo Restaurant Training Center.  So I have been working two jobs, attempting to write my prospectus, and dealing with life - needless to say I have been extremely busy and overwhelmed to the point of exhaustion.  I went into, what I have termed, my "hermit crab mode."  Basically if I ignored the problem, then it wasn't there - and we all know how well that really works. I stopped blogging, stopped talking to friends on the phone, stopped chatting online - became a hermit.  I began emotionally eating again because of it too.  So, in order to set some goals and come out of my hermit crab mode - I'm blogging again.  As my friends know, I put on a really good show - that everything is fine and then privately I tie myself into knots.  This isn't a cry for help, but more of a proactive approach to life and achieving the things I want, and I know the best way for me to do this is put it in writing and put it out there, so I can hold myself accountable.  So here is my 2011 hopes, dreams and plans.


That whole PhD thing.  There are numerous steps to this - so here we go.
 - Be ABD (all but dissertation) by the end of January/end of February.  I have been working on this prospectus far too long - I want it done.  I want to continue the fieldwork in Chicago for the dis, and I want to write the damn thing.
 - Action - I need to make the time to write.  I prefer writing in large chunks of time - guess what, that is close to impossible with two jobs - so I need to just write when I have the time, even if that is only one hour at a time - and then take the weekends (sorry honey) to write larger parts of it.
 -  I'm going to turn in my prospectus to my dissertation advisor by Friday, January 7, 2011. - This means writing today and tomorrow and in between everything else.  I don't have much left to do - I just need to stop editing while I go and get it done.  Just four chapter summaries and a small section on Merleau-Ponty and a quick timeline edit.  I can do this!
 - Finish my dissertation.  I want to be done with this.  I am going to do my damnedest to defend by September, and graduate in December 2011.
 - Action - lots and lots of work, I need to finish the fieldwork no later than March, with a final quick trip to see Romeo and Juliet in April.  A chapter a month - maybe more.  I have to allow time for rewrites.  It is do able just a lot to do. 

Hit my weight loss goal and maintain it.
 - I have approximately 35 pounds to lose.  I put twenty pounds on this fall.  I know some people might secretly take pleasure in my set back.  It is just a set back - I'm not going back to what I was.
- Action - Deal with my emotional eating again.  Rather than ignore my anxiety or depression and eat to feel better - I need to face those feelings and do something about it.  Eat healthy - I haven't been eating the right foods, I have been choosing the stuff that used to make me feel better - doesn't work, I need to measure my food and make healthier choices.  Exercise - gee maybe I should use that uber expensive gym membership I got - back to the gym for me.  I need to get active again, and if I can't make it to the gym - I do have a Wii Active - no more excuses.

Get married
 - Scott proposed in November, and I said yes.
 - Action - set a date, maybe tell people (still up in the air on that one) get married
 - We know what we don't want, now it is just figuring out what we do want.  One thing is for sure, the wedding is going to make us happy - we're not compromising for judgmental family members.  Since we will probably elope - we will definitely celebrate with our close friends and family later.


Live for myself
 - If I don't take care of myself, I won't be any good to anyone else.  I have to put my needs first at times.
 - Stop trying to please everyone - namely my father.  I love my father dearly, but I feel like I never measure up to his standards.  I'm sure he thinks he is encouraging me by asking me every time I talk to him how my writing is going.  My favorite one is "Shouldn't you be writing right now?" or "Just sit down and write it one weekend."  When Scott and I announced our engagement the "Congratulations" was immediately followed by "You're going to wait until after you've finished your dissertation, aren't you?"  I know it is just how my dad expresses himself - that he is just concerned for my financial well being - but I have to stop letting it get to me and do what I think is best for myself.
 - Let things go.  It is frustrating to sit by and let another individual make (what I perceive as stupid) mistakes - but I can't waste my energy on being angry about it.  I also can't spend my time fixing them either.  All I can do is be there for the one person who is affected even more than I am by this individual's actions (or lack there of at times).

Not bad for a start.

 

       


      1 comment:

      Unknown said...

      I think this is a great plan! 2011 is going to be a great year for you. We need to chat soon.