September 24, 2010

How I met Mr. Wonderful

Scott and I celebrated our fifth anniversary on August 1st.  We both had to stop and think about the significance of that.  It has been the longest relationship for either of us, as well as the longest either one of us has lived with another individual that wasn't a family member.  We have had good times and bad times and through it all we still seem to love each other.  Go figure!

As many of my friends know, my marriage to a certain guy fell apart in the summer of 2005.  We were legally separated when I went to my friend Gill's wedding in July. It was at Gill and Ben's wedding that I had a kind of epiphany.  Hell would have frozen over before I told Gill about my divorce on the weekend of her wedding - so I went, acting happily married and cringing on the inside. So needless to say I wasn't expecting to enjoy myself - it was going to take all my strength just to get through the weekend.  The day before the wedding was the first time I met Gill's hubby-to-be, Ben and when and I saw the two of them together, I realized that I never had that kind of relationship with my ex.  And so I stopped feeling sorry for myself, and so when I got back from Arkansas I started online dating.

I had gone on a couple of dates with guys I had met on match.com, but wasn't really thrilled - so I raised the age limit - and Scott had just lowered his age limit.  (There is a 13 year difference between us - but we don't even notice it)  He winked at me first, so  I read his profile and I said to myself, "No way, he created his profile after reading mine!" So we chatted online before I headed to San Francisco for ATHE conference.   We exchange phone numbers, and he told me to give him a call if I had time in between conference sessions.

I had a couple of hours free before my first session so I gave him a call - well I ended up being late to my first session!  We talked everyday, for as much as we could.  At one point he even considered flying out to meet me - I told him we wouldn't get to spend time together because I was in the conference -so why doesn't he just pick me up at the airport in Detroit.

Yep, the first time we met in person was at the baggage claim in the McNamara terminal at the Detroit airport.  It was like a plot to bad romantic comedy - I can honestly say it was love at first sight - well actually before first sight - in fact he already had a ring for me when he picked me up - it is a Celtic silver ring that translates to "Song of my heart." (insert awwww here).  He has since met my family and most of my college friends and has passed approval with everyone (like that would ever stop me).  He makes me very happy. We are very lucky to have found each other.  And every day I'm amazed to find myself in a loving and healthy relationship - I prefer to save the drama in my life for the stage, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Wow, Mac, you guys are so lucky! :) I didn't even realize how much until I read this. I hope you guys get lots more anniversaries together.

chrissy. said...

awesome. you haven't blogged in a bit, how's the new gig?